Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Camp Reflections Part 5

   
     It became apparent real quick during that week, how much I missed playing ball, being part of a team. I love to play golf, but golf doesn't quite have that same essence. (Except if you play in a 4 player scramble.) I played softball 15 years or more, but gave it up soon after my daughters were born. Looking back, I guess I should have played some more.
     By the time we made the camp playoffs, The Billoneys were very much a team. I'm especially proud of my two productive outs during that first playoff game. An RBI fielder's choice I hit into, and a sacrifice fly. I never did get a hit off Steve Ritchie during camp. Ironic because I probably faced him more times than anyone else at the Miami Lakes batting practice sessions. That's the difference between practice and the games.
     Kangaroo court was fun. Like I wrote earlier in this blog, I knew this blog would catch up to me. All in good fun and for a great cause. I liked the fact during the court "Doung" recognized us veterans (During the week as well.) Another example of what a class act Doug and everyone else associated with the camp is.
     The team dinner was a definite highlight of the week. The friendships that are formed and maintained during the week is really what defines Fantasy Camp. Sure the baseball is great, especially when you are winning, but the camaraderie is truly special. It's easy to see why guys come back year after year after year. Getting to know Jack and Jim on a personal level was a treat. They are great people. My wife Karen got to meet and chatted with Mrs. Maloney during one of the games. That was pretty cool as well. Sure these guys are Reds Hall of Famers, but getting past the baseball player these guys are regular guys. As Jack said, "We are just real regular folks that had some God given talent."

r




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the comments about me Mike. Apparently you were one of the few guys I was able to get out that week!

    ReplyDelete